H1

RPG Index: Single player Role Playing Games

Monday 1 April 2013

Am I the only one who actually enjoys grinding?

It's occurred to me recently that when people complain about the long grinds in RPG games that I'm not really averse to it. Whenever I lose to a boss in any RPG, instead of trying again like a regular person I will instead grind for a couple of hours and then attempt it again. I like coming back to an opponent and crushing him just as badly as he crushed me.

True facts.

I enjoy grinding, and I don't think many other people do. I like the mindless repetition of defeating the same enemies because I can do it while reading a book or watching a film. I played World of Warcraft and leveled every class to maximum on Horde and Alliance because it was an easy way to make money and was easy to do while watching my favorite television series.

There are a few cases in which I don't have fun farming, mostly in games that ask for too much and give too little in return. Breath of Fire 3 is a prime example. You can spend 3 hours killing enemies and gain barely more than a couple of levels. Most people want to feel rewarded for putting in the time, and if you don't get much for it you feel cheated. I'm no different. But I still like grinding. Does anyone else feel the same way?

No comments:

Post a Comment